Stanley's Burgers


Stanley's Famous Hamburgers
371 Richmond Street
Providence, RI




I received a tip many months ago that Stanley's had a really good hamburger that was worth making an effort to try. Lucky for me, my new coworkers have a standing lunch out every Friday. This should to lead to an uptick in local reviews, at least of places that serve a reasonably quick lunch.

I ate at Stanley's newer location in Providence's Jewelry District. Upon walking in, I immediately experienced the delightful smell of onion rings. The place resembles a diner or burger stand, similar to Johnny Rockets. The walls are decorated in cartoons, which of course one can't help think of Wimpy from the Popeye cartoon, or the characters that adorn Monopoly games.

We were seated quickly and perused the menus. My coworkers reminded each other and tipped me off that the single patty burgers were wimpy. While the menu describes the double-patty burgers as quarter pounders, I felt that it too, was wimpy. All burgers are served with grilled onions and pickles. Lettuce, tomato and cheese are extra at 69 cents for each pair. Burger combinations are traditional with offerings such as mushroom cheese, bacon cheese, peppers, etc.

We shared an extremely good plate of fries with cheese and bacon, fries with gravy and cheese and onion rings. I was disappointed in the mushroom cheeseburger (no extras) that I ordered. I felt that the patties were flavorless and as I mentioned above, wimpy. Without the toppings, I could have been eating a double-burger from McDonalds.

Price Range: $2-$6 burgers, most expensive item on menu - $7.50.

Recommended? Go for the fries and diner atmosphere or the cheapness, don't bother with the burgers.

Stanley’s Famous Hamburgers on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps it was a bad day? I went to the same Stanley's last night and the burgers were great.

Copyright © 2008 - Eating Providence - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template