Napa Valley Grille



Napa Valley Grille
111 Providence Place
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: 401.270.6272





This review is likely to become dated very quickly, as this restaurant changes its menu seasonally to reflect currently available produce. Also featured is a weekly Prix Fixe three course dinner menu composed mostly of items not found on the menu, except for the desserts, though the dessert selection also varies.

Located in Providence Place mall, this is probably the most upscale restaurant in that facility. The food is very good, though possibly not quite as good as the prices would indicate. The atmosphere is pleasant as well, mostly quiet, but tables are too closely placed for an intimate dinner. When a friend and I were first seated, I felt as though I was participating in the conversation of the table adjacent. And later in the evening, an acquaintance of my dining companions sat at the same table. It was easy to have a conversation with her and her companion without even slightly raising our voices.


Both my companion and I found the salads to be lackluster. Hers was a simple organic greens salad sprinkled with a few sunflower seeds and a maple vinaigrette. Mine was a similar salad, but served with candied pecans and a quarter of grilled and chilled radicchio. For my case, I found that mostly the greens were of the bitter variety, without much variation in flavor. The candied nuts were a nice contrast, but easily were overwhelmed by the greens, as was the very mild Atwells Gold cheese.

For entrees, we had the Grilled Chicken Penne off the main menu and a Lamb Sausage and White Bean dish from the weekly menu. The first comment that my friend made about her dish was that it was comfort food. An assessment that I agreed with for my dish as well. Mine reminded me of a French cassoulet in look and flavors, and combined with the excellent lamb sausage, made for a very satisfying meal. I only sampled a small bite of the Penne, but the sauce was delicious, the pasta perfectly cooked, and an extremely generous portion, easily enough for two meals.

Initially I thought the portion size on the cassoulet looked small, and I found myself wanting a few more bites, but really it was the right sized serving for the three course menu.

We shared the dessert from my selections, the Strawberry Shortbread Cheesecake. I am typically a cheesecake "purist", not choosing flavored or topped cheesecakes, but in this case, I was happy with the amendments. A white chocolate cheesecake topped with whipped cream served on a thick shortbread cookie and a strawberry coulis on the plate instead of the cake itself. The cheesecake was very light (a friend of mine would probably call it a Jell-o cheesecake), and very flavorful. The thick, airy and not too-dry shortbread was a nice twist over the traditional graham cracker crust.

At $36 for a three course meal, and featuring items not on the menu, it was a good choice, and the most economical. Combined with an inexpensive glass of Chardonay (I know, bad pairing decision), my portion of the bill was $45.

Price Range: $8-10 appetizers/salads, $20-35 entrees, $5-15 desserts.

Recommended? Yes, the food is excellent, atmosphere a little crowded for a romantic evening, though the food quality is up to par. Excellent variety of wines by the glass.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Eating Providence - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template