Fatty McGee's Dublin Pub

Fatty McGee's
55 Union Street
Providence, RI 02903

Unfortunately for this review, the menu is in the process of being changed, so this review may be outdated very quickly. The owner told me that due to low sales volumes, many of the seafood items (stuffies, crab, clams) on the menu are not available, and new menus haven't been printed yet. This left the standard pub fair of sandwiches, burgers, nachos, cheese sticks, wings, etc.

I had a very disappointing Reuben. The meat was overcooked, dried out and tough and the sandwich didn't have enough sauce on it, in general, it didn't taste like much. Probably the first Reuben I've had that wasn't good. In contrast, a dining companion had a the Mac and Cheese, according to the owner, one of the best items on the menu. Given the reaction and rampant sampling by everyone at the table, this is not an overblown assessment.

I found the wings and sauce to be unexciting, the buffalo sauce seemed to be just a cup of red hot without much butter or other spice to it. The wings are served plain and the sauce is provided on the side for dipping. The nachos were okay, but not great, certainly not as good as the ones at Spats. The quesadilla was decent, nothing fantastic, but reasonably tasty.

Friends I've dined with here have either loved or hated the grilled cheese sandwich. The decisive ingredient appears to be the inclusion of a thinly sliced tomato, which isn't mentioned on the menu, for the tomato hater, not a good sandwich. The burgers have been reported to be good, but I haven't had a sample of one.

Our waitress Christina was great, handling the 11 of us quite jovially and genuinely helpful, making recommendations to folks. One of her favorites was the Reuben, so I can only assume that I had a poorly prepared example. The owner was also about and quite friendly and talkative.

Price Range: $8 - 15

Recommended? Great staff, very friendly and helpful. But most of the food is only okay, go for the atmosphere, to watch sports or for one of their weeknight events like Karaoke or Trivia.

Date of Visit: July 14, 2008
Fatty McGee's Dublin Pub on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Malyna said...

The mac and cheese was very good! I actually am not a huge fan of cheese [I blame it on my Asian upbringing and usually say I'm lactose intolerant when people ask why I pick it off of pizza] but enjoyed it in the dish and the bacon provided a nice crunchy contast.

Copyright © 2008 - Eating Providence - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template