Spats

Spats
182 Angell St
Providence, RI 02906

By all accounts, the best item on the menu here is the Spats Nachos. And in my opinion, so far the best Stuffies (stuffed quahog clam for the uninitiated) that I've had in the state are here as well. I've been visiting here reasonably frequently over the course of several months and have tried items from most sections of the menu. One attraction is a decent set of draught and bottled beers. It doesn't rotate very frequently and is pilsner heavy for my tastes, but offers something for most palettes.

Items that I do not recommend on the menu include the baked mac and cheese, which I found to be too light on sauce and dry. I've had good experiences with the other pasta dishes, including the Clam Zuppa and some of the daily specials that tend to be some sort of clam and shrimp dish over angel hair.

The version of greek pizza on offer also lacked for flavor and could easily be improved by including a salty presence such as olives to complement the other toppings. I haven't tried the other pizzas to vouch for them, but had a conversation with the bartender about the greek pizza's shortcomings. Lastly, on the items to avoid list is the vegetarian wrap, which is bland and flavorless.

On the upside, I've tried a couple of the burgers, my favorite from description and experience is the alamo burger, which features hot peppers and pepper jack cheese. I was not as happy with the spats burger which comes with a very thick layer of sauteed onions, recommended for the onion lover only.

As a pub. the place has a mix of corner hangout, college bar and sports bar feel. Televisions abound, typically showing whatever big game relevant to New England tastes is on. Staff is generally friendly and there is ample room for larger parties.

It doesn't beat out my favorite pub/restaurant of all time in terms of consistent food quality, but in terms of price, atmosphere and staff, its the best I've found in Providence so far, such that I visit regularly.

Price Range: $10-$15

Recommended? Mostly, stick with a burger, one of the pasta dishes or the nachos.

1 comments:

Artemis said...

Too bad I never got to taste Spatz's old nacho platter as the new version is made with white sauce instead of cheese.

Copyright © 2008 - Eating Providence - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template